Monday 16 June 2014

Visual VM “not supported for this JVM”



Visual VM “not supported for this JVM” on all local applications?


I found out that (at least under Windows) one can easily write small batch files to run VisualVM in combination with specific JVMs, which is important for me, since I have installed the 32bit JDK alongside with the 64bit JDK (I need both, so this is sensible for me). I have created two batch files in the folder "S:\applications\visualvm\bin\":
run_32.bat:
@echo off
START "VisualVM 32" visualvm.exe --jdkhome "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_07"
run_64.bat:
@echo off
START "VisualVM 64" visualvm.exe --jdkhome "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07"
Obviously, all paths may differ on your system, but the general idea should still work correctly (on all 64bit versions of Windows). The benefit is that I can use the 32bit batch file when I want to use VisualVM in combination with Java applications that run on the 32bit JVM, and so on for 64bit.
The "start" command has the only benefit that the batch file launches the application without waiting for it to finish, so the command prompt window closes immediately. This is not a feature of VisualVM, but of the Windows batch file interpreter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here